French Meat Pie
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 1 ⁄2cup onion finely chopped
- 1 ⁄2cup water
- 2 large potatoes peeled, cut into quarters
- 1 ⁄2teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4teaspoon allspice
- 1 ⁄4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 double crust pie crust
- Combine beef, pork, onion and water in a medium saucepan and mix well.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until the ground beef and pork are cooked through, stirring occasionally.
- Boil the potatoesin water to cover in a small saucepan until tender; drain.
- Add to the meat mixture.
- Add the salt, allspice, cloves and pepper and mix well; remove from heat.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher.
- Roll the pastry into two 11-inch circles on a lightly floured surface.
- Fit 1 pastry into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Fill with the meat mixture.
- Cover with the remaining pastry, fluting the edge and cutting several vents.
- Bake at 450′ for 20 minutes or the crust is golden brown.
This is a basic recipe. Many people like more spices. Always taste test prior to filling pie crust to make sure this meets your expectations