Cheddar Ale Soup
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup grated carrots
- ¼ flour
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ pound grated cheddar cheese 2 cups
- 3 cans Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1¼ cups Half and Half
- 1 can Ale or Beer
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan. Add onion and carrot, cover and cook over low heat about 5 minutes.
- Blend in flour, mustard, and paprika. Stir in cheese and 1 can of chicken broth until cheese is melted.
- Add remaining ingredients; simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Makes 7 cups
Garnish bowls of soup with minced chives or chopped parsley.