Black Forest Cake
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Kirschwasser
- 1 cup sugar powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 16 oz can pitted dark cherries drained
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon kirschwasser
- 1 square semisweet chocolate or remaining crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F Line the bottoms of two 8 inch round pans with parchment paper circles or grease and flour the pans. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat well. Add vanilla. Add flour mixture, alternating with milk, beat until combined.
- Pour into 2 round 8 inch pans. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely. Remove paper from under the cakes. Cut each layer in half, horizontally, making 4 layers total Sprinkle layers with 1/2 cup Kirschwasser.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks. Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon Kirschwasser. Add sugar powder, and a pinch of salt. Beat again. Spread first layer of cake with 1/3 of the filling Top with 1/3 of the cherries. Repeat with the remaining layer(s).
- Frost top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with chocolate curls made by using a potato peeler on semisweet baking chocolate. Or you can use the remaining crumbs to sprinkle the sides of the cake.